The Power of Clearing Clutter
Clearing clutter has the power to transform your life. How? Because clutter in your outer environment is the physical manifestation of all the clutter going on inside of you. Clearing clutter has a ripple effect across your entire life.
When our minds are cluttered with overwhelm, fears, worries and limiting beliefs they show up in our lives as physical clutter. Clutter has far-reaching negative effects on every area of our lives. Clutter prevents us from living our lives on purpose, fulfilled, happy, healthy and abundant.
Women who do too much often struggle with clutter because we prioritise other things and other people instead of ourselves. Our minds are full of to do lists, responsibilities and commitments to others. We often don’t make enough room for ourselves. We forget to clear sufficient space mentally to allow us to relax, refresh and recharge and as a result we don’t clear our enough space in our physical environment to enable us to replenish our selves via our external space.
Our internal and external worlds are intrinsically linked. Clearing clutter on the external has a direct effect on the internal and visa versa. Clearing out your physical environment will instantly impact your internal world, your mental health and wellbeing. By letting go of physical objects that no longer bring you joy, no longer have a purpose, or no longer serve you – you create internal and external space.
- Space for greater peace and well-being.
- Space to have and do less, yet accomplish and enjoy much more.
- Space to create change in your life.
- Space to connect with and live your soul purpose.
Another powerful effect of clearing physical clutter is increased energy. Every item you have in your possession is attached to you energetically. You are quite literally connected to every thing you have in your home, your office, your garage, your loft, in storage with relatives by tiny energetic cords. The things in your life that are useful to you, that add value to your life, that serve a current purpose are charged with positive energy that replenishes you and enriches your life. But the things that you are holding on to that you don’t really like, don’t ever use and don’t need anymore have the opposite effect on your energy. Things that no longer fit or serve you, drain your energy. If you often feel overwhelmed, tired and drained this is because lots of your energy is being depleted by things in your life that you no longer need. By releasing these items from your life and letting them go, you cut the energetic cords binding you to them and actually gain energy. Imagine how much energy you could gain by clearing all the clutter from your physical environment!
Make a start on clearing your physical clutter today with these 6 Starter Steps:
- Select a Starting Point – Ask yourself ‘Which area of my physical environment would make the best place for me to start clearing for my highest possible good’. Take a deep breath in and as you exhale release any fears about where you think you ‘should or ought to’ start clearing. Take another deep breath and notice the gut feeling you get about where to begin. Trust your intuition and start there.
- Shift Your Focus – Take a look at the area of clutter you wish to clear. Notice how looking at the area makes you feel. Take a deep breath in and as you exhale let go of any negative emotions, tightness in your body or resistance you may be experiencing about clearing the clutter. Close your eyes and affirm to yourself ‘I can easily find and focus on things I love, the rest I am safe to release’. Shift your focus so that your clutter becomes your ally, like a friend helping to highlight the things you have hidden, but actually want to keep.
- Find Your Treasures – Begin your clearing process by sorting through the area you are clearing and putting aside all the things you instantly feel drawn to that you defiantly want to keep. These are your treasures. The things you use regularly or love to have in your home or workplace. You are likely to find some hidden treasures here, which have perhaps been long buried by the clutter!
- Trash or Treasure? - Some things you may not feel instantly drawn to keep and may find indecisiveness creeping in about whether they are trash or treasure. Hold the item in your hands and tune into your intuition by asking yourself ‘does this item expand or deplete my energy?’ – notice how you feel when you do this. If you feel a sense of warmth in your heart, excitement in your stomach or fond warmth across your body then you know the item is a treasure. If you don’t feel anything at all – check in with whether the item serves any practical purpose in your life. If yes, keep it. If no, bin it. If you feel anxious, nervous, resentful or a tightening, heavy or restrictive sensation when holding an item then that’s a sure sign it energetically drains you. Let it go!
- Trash Fast! – When you have finished clearing your selected area trust your instincts on what to trash and trash fast! Items can only be released from draining your energy once they have left your possession and are no longer your responsibility. While they are still sat in your garage or loft, they are still draining you. Put your rubbish out for recycling and anything reusable donate to charity. Take action on this fast. The sooner you let go the sooner you’ll be truly free of your clutter inside and out and feel the benefits energetically of having created space for yourself.
- Trust Your Space – If you’ve held on to clutter for sometime you will definitely feel a sense of energetic lightness when you let go of things that have been draining you. With this may come the temptation to fill the newly created space back up with things you don’t need. Trust your Space! Breathe into it. Honour it. Cherish it. Affirm to yourself that your new space is space for you to be you. It is space for you to truly treasure the beautiful things you have. From this space you can enjoy replenished energy, increased creativity and the room for new, better, brighter and often unexpected positive things to flow into your life.