The Power of New Beginnings
Whether it is the start of a new year, the change of a season, a move from one house to another, becoming a parent or changing careers, there is much power in new beginnings. A chance to reinvent ourselves and step into a more expanded version of who we really want to be, what we want to do and the things and people we’d like to surround ourselves with. But we don’t need to wait for a significant event, change in circumstances or new lunar cycle to turn a new page. We can start our lives over on any day, in any moment. New beginnings start first with our imagination, followed by the setting of an intention, then the commitment to take action and make it so.
To access our imagination it can be helpful to begin by letting go of what was, so that we can turn our focus to what we would like to experience instead. By releasing ourselves from resentments, past mistakes, fear, hurt, sadness, guilt and disappointment, we are better able to let go of anything that we no longer wish to carry. This permits our attention the opportunity to rest on what we want to experience now, in this moment, from where we can then move forward with renewed awareness and the expansive feeling of a fresh start.
Even the smallest action can be enough to act as a catalyst for change – whether that action is how positively we choose to think our next thought, how purposefully we breathe our next breath or the way in which we express ourselves with our next step. Starting with small steps we gain confidence and competence – allowing us to take bigger and bigger steps towards our dreams. The more action we take, the more our confidence and competence grows and before we know it we can find ourselves being, doing and having much more in our lives than we initially imagined. All great things have come as a result of one initial decision to honour that single moment and make it a new beginning.
5 Simple Steps to Start a New Beginning
- Identify what you don’t want – Draw a picture of yourself on a piece of paper and write around it all the negative thoughts, behaviours, relationships and things in your life that you no longer wish to be burdened by. Put down anything/anyone you feel angry about, resentful of, disappointed by, frustrated with or disheartened in. Add illustrations if you wish. When you’re finished ask yourself “Is there anything more I am scared of, worried about, fed up with, angered by?” Write them all down, no matter how big or small.
- Let go of the negative – Acknowledge that all the things you wrote around the picture of yourself have had a role in shaping who you are today. Each have presented an opportunity for self-learning. Thank them for serving that purpose in your life. Draw a line from each word or illustration to the image representing yourself at the centre of your paper. These lines represent the energetic cords between you and all of the things you want to break free from. Take a deep breath and with love, forgiveness and self-acceptance tear the symbolic cords so that you end up left only with the outline representing you. Take another deep breath and burn or throw away the torn off bits of paper. This symbolizes releasing the old and beginning a new cycle in your life.
- Imagine what you really want – You are free now to start a new beginning. Draw a picture of this new you and ask yourself “What would I really like to be, do and have?” Write down whatever comes to mind. When you run out of things look at your list and imagine already being, doing and having everything you’ve written down. Then ask yourself “If I had all these things, what more would I want”. Keep doing this until all your heartfelt desires emerge.
- Visualise a new you – Close your eyes and imagine being a year forward in the future with all your desires already manifest in your life. Notice how it feels in your body to be, do and have all the desires from your picture. Breathe that feeling in and expand it so that it fills you completely.
- Act as if – Connecting with the feeling of being a brighter version of yourself living a brighter version of your life, means the experience of living with that inner happiness, wellbeing and fulfillment is already within you. Act now as if all your dreams have already manifest and make this moment a new beginning, an opportunity to be the best that you can be.
“Take one step towards your dreams and your dreams will take multiple steps towards you.” Christine Kane